March 21, 2010

I Didn't Know How To Quilt Before This Weekend!

I truly believe the following:  If you have the internet, you can learn ANYTHING!  It is true!  I had no idea how to quilt before this weekend.  I've been thinking about doing it and I've been reading blogs which explain how to do it but I never really thought I'd try it.  Well, I needed a table runner for my Easter table, so I went to my scrap fabric supply and pulled out some that went nicely with this paisley fabric I bought the other day.  I didn't really have anything in mind when I bought the paisley, but I picked the EXACT amount I needed! 

So, I went to Heather Bailey's site and found some instructions on how to bind a quilt and printed them out.  Then I went to YouTube and found a video of a lady who quilts with a regular old sewing machine and watched how she magically moved the fabric around to quilt designs in the fabric.  That's all it took.  I went to my machine and started playing with some practice fabric and it turned out just fine, so I started cutting pretty calico strips to go with the paisley and in two days, I was done with it.  And that isn't even two days straight.  I traveled this weekend (to Clinton, NY where I had awesome Indian food) and worked on the quilting about 2 hours per day.  Not bad!  I love the way it turned out!

Here it is on my table....
I just followed the fabric's paisley design.  It was a bit tedious for me.  I like instant gratification, but once I got the binding on, I was very happy I took the time to do it.  Below are pictures up close and of the other side of the quilt.  I don't love it on this table on the striped side, but I took pictures to show you anyway.


If you don't know how and want to know how, I would seriously do some research on-line and play around with it.  It was much easier than I thought it would be!

"Hey!  Don't eat the decorations!"

Another thing we did this weekend... V's artwork was on display in the Kid's Art Gallery in the Earlville Opera House, so we went there to see it.  Awe... Proud Mommy!

Happy Sunday!
Tami

3 comments:

Andrea said...

That looks really great! My first quilt is almost finished. My mom is doing the handwork on the binding, I did the rest though! I hate to do handwork. I plan to post some pictures this week!

Megan said...

Hey there,

do you mind posting the link to the binding instructions? Thanks!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Wow, that is really great! Good job. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Past Posts

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed