May 13, 2009

Project Procrastinator Reveal! - Pool House Makeover

Remember my blog post about the Project Procrastinator Party going on at The Inspired Room?
Today is the REVEAL!!! After you read mine, go over to the Inspired Room and see the projects the other party people have finished!

***********************************************************
My pool house changing rooms are DONE! I did it. Call me a procrastinator NO MORE!

You can see the BEFORE photos here. It is truly amazing what a coat of paint & some spackling can do!!!

We have two changing rooms with a set of shelves in between. I decided to make a girls' changing room and a boys' changing room. I NEVER get to do cute girly rooms, so I love doing a girl room and it is my favorite!

The GIRLS' Side

So, to begin, I chose a pretty LIGHT blue called Cascade Falls by Dutchboy. I love it. Soft and summery. I had found a shower curtain at Salvation Army that I thought I might cut up and use for fabric, but this was a way better use for it. I paid $1.99 for it! Here it is below...

Remember those UGLY mirrors??? Look how sweet they look in white!


I sewed this skirt for under the benches, made the pillow cover out of a pink striped valance I from Salvation Army and some fabric I used to make the headband hanging on the hook.

Notice the white floor? Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I love it white. I figure if I don't like it, it is easy enough to repaint! It was ugly and just concrete. I got floor paint with a sand added to it so that it isn't slippery for wet little feet!

Close-up of the mirror...

I got a spring-tention shower curtain at WM for $11.95.





I had some cute frames that were black that I got at The Christmas Tree Shops and spray painted white. They are 12x12 and were supposed to be used for record albums.

I did the middle layout in Paintshop Pro and matted it with some pretty scrapbook paper.



This is another of the tention rods used for hanging beach towels. Regular towel rods are too small for beach towels, so this will work better. I still have to get one for the boys' side.


There are three lights that were just bare lights. I got these at Walmart for both the boy and girl sides.

The mats cost me nothing extra! I had some outside furniture fabric that I got at WM (imagine!)for $2 a yard. It was tan with a rubbery waterproof plastic on the back. Perfect because it doesn't slip too much. Here it is on my kitchen floor. I hemmed the edges and then painted it with a roller in white. Then I painted it with acrylic paints and Mod Podged it to seal it. After that dried, I sprayed it with a different sealer. I'll have to post the name of that if anyone wants to know.





The BOYS Side!

I had a Pottery Barn shower curtain that was in my bathroom in San Diego, but it didn't fit into our house here. I kept it and wondered why. Now I know! It looks really cute in the boys' room. This (sort of ugly) print that is on the wall was left behind by the previous owners. It didn't match my decor inside (thank God) but I thought it was pretty boyish and looks cute with the Vintage Turquoise in the boys' dressing room.


Here's V. using the room. He has an inch worm on his finger.


The pillow and curtain under the bench are also made from 2 light green valences I got at Salvation Army. I put vintage buttons on each of the tabs. Both skirts are velcroed on so I can take them off and wash them when (not if) they need it.

Here's that mirror! Soooo much better!


These were little frames I got at the dollar store. I painted them all white and decoupaged the inside with scrapbook paper. I will show more of that in a later post.


This is the other mat I did for the boys' room. If you click on it, you can see it bigger.

That will happen with all of the photos on here. I think!





The Middle Shelves

These are the shelves that you see when you open the pool house door. I've painted them green. The actual paint color is Silvery Green and it is a Dutchboy color. I had it mixed at Walmart. All of the trim, ceilings and benches are painted with a glossy white.

The baskets are awesome! I got them at Walmart 2 for $5.50! Awesome price and they are made of a nice nylon material that can be easily wiped down. This is where I store a lot of the extra stuff that I put on the table by the pool. We moved the pool ladder and stuff to another storage area in another garage.



The white floor!






A close-up of the baskets with labels....



The old light was just a lightbulb. This one was CHEAP at Lowe's. I spray painted the metal part white instead of the gold that it was. We had to have one with a chain pull, so there weren't a lot of options.


The "blank" labels if you would like to use them for anything.

Check it out! Only $108 spent to re-do that bad chipboarded storage space and to make it a pretty, summery hangout. I really want to put a TV in there... or maybe a computer line. I could blog from there very nicely.
Hope you enjoyed seeing my project as much as I enjoyed showing it. My balls of my feet are bruised from painting the floors while stooping. My shoulder is aching from painting the ceiling, but the aches and pains were all worth it!


31 comments:

Vee said...

Wonderful use of colors...I know that the children must love it so. Everything looks fresh and delightful...well done!

Janine said...

Whoo Hoo!! It's all finished and in just 2 weeks! I remember you talking about doing that for the past 2 years! Finally you figured out what to do in that space! It turned out great! Congrats!

Teresa said...

Oh so lovely! Love how you covered the bench on the boys side-
Thanks for sharing

Mrs. Petrie said...

Wow, I am awestruck!! Everything looks incredible and I can't believe all the details. I love the painted floor, the shelves with baskets, the matted pics, the mirrors. Cheers to you!

Neabear said...

Wow, that was quite a project to take on! You did an awesome job on it too. Looks wonderful and so summery of course. Thanks for coming by my place too. Good luck finding a way to recover your chair too.

Tiffany said...

What fun spaces you have! Great price, too!

Local Girl said...

WOW! Love what you did, colourful and practical. Lovely work!

Kathy said...

Wow! What an amazing transformation! The floor mats are adorable. I hope you have many happy days this summer using the space. Great job! ~Kathy

Anonymous said...

Very fresh and fun! I love that you have a boy's side and a girl's side. Great project!

Ashley said...

Wow, awesome work. If only I had a pool so that I could have a pool house. :)

june@craftyniche said...

Wow, everything looks amazing! And on a budget too, even better!

Palomino Designs said...

Awesome job Tami... don't know what this looked like before - but I love the way it looks now!!!

Nicole A. said...

WOW, you were super busy and it paid off, I love love love it! Love the colors in both the boys and girls, it looks Fabulous!

Small House said...

NO WAY!!! The makeover is wonderful. It took my breath away when I saw the pictures. WOW TO YOU!
Have a great day.
Sandra

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Clap, clap, clap! I'm also giving you a standing ovation. The rooms turned out so cute! I love the floor mats the best. You are quite talented. You should make some to sell. Everything was so creative. I am in awe of you.

Ashley Hasty said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't believe you made over an entire pool house! It really looks fantastic!

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Wow wow wow! Love it! I love that blue - I've never used Dutch Boy paint but I'll have to check out that color - soo pretty. How smart of you to use the paint with the sand in it on the floors! It all looks amazing especially for the budget you had!

Great Job!

Manuela

Sue said...

Lovely! I hope both the boys and the girls have fun using these new spaces!

Little Lady Cakes said...

You did such a great job! Before and After were so drastic!

Move that bus!!

Sharon said...

Great re-do!! That is awesome and so summer-y! Cute!!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Jumping up and down for how CUTE it all turned out! I love it. Good for you, you DID IT!

Glad you joined in!!!

Barbie said...

That was an amazing project. I got tired just reading everything you did. I am so impressed.

The Queen of Clearance said...

Im pretty cheap and crafty but you just might be even more amazing than me :) This is awesome! Great job. You should be so proud!

Imelda@Inspired Simplicity said...

I most definitely enjoyed viewing your project...thanks for sharing. You are such a creative person...love everything you did to your pool house. great job painting the concrete floor. everything is so inspiring.

thanks also for the support on my own procrastinator project...it helped a lot...now I'm done too and it feels great.

Victorian Lady said...

What a cute and beautiful assemblage! It is a talent to know how to put all those things from all different places together in such a pleasing way!

Great job!

Mere

Housewife Savant said...

I'm late to The Reveal, sorry.
(We were sansa-net for eleven horrible days.)

You are SO creative. I KNEW you would make something lovely in these spaces.
Your changing rooms are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Well, you already know this, but I STILL think it's SHEER FABULOUSNESS!!!

Elle Jay Bee said...

This is AMAZING!! How fun to have two spaces to transform, and transform them you did! I peeked at the before, and what you have done with each is so beautiful! I am not sure if I could pick a favourite!

Congrats on a project well done!
Linda

Not Everyones Mama said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! You did a fabulous job decorating! Swinging in from SITS!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Those are such fun colors and accents. Love it!

Stopping by from the SITS link up. Hope you had a great holiday!

René said...

What a great space! Thanks for telling me about it! Love the mirror!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Past Posts

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed