So, I started with this shirt... I will look for a more appropriately shaped on my next trip to Salvation Army, but this one will do for now. It is a crepe-y kind of material. Not sure what to call it.
So, I started at the collar and moved out about 1/2 inch from the collar and cut away the shoulder and the top part of the arm, keeping the underarm connected. I left the 1/2 inch so that I could hem it right up to the collar. I did a rolled hem the whole way around the section that I cut out.
Then I tried it on and realized that the underarm was too big on me. You can see that here.
So, I took the arm and the side of the shirt in. It is a size large and I am a small. In hindsight, I should have taken it in first to be sure it fit. So, I cut away the excess material that I had taken in. It showed through the shirt too much to leave it. Then I sewed the sleeve to the bodice from the arm pit up about 3 inches both on the front and back.
This is how it turned out and I really like it, but I will still look for a dress that I can make like the first picture above. Maybe I should have combed my hair or put on some make-up before taking pictures to share with the world. Oh well, au natural it is.